My 5 Top 5s for ‘05 (aka 55405)
’tis the season for retrospectives. So 5 fives of 05 seemed like an obvious way to go. I’m sure that some will disagree with most and that most will disagree with some. But it’s all fairly personal.
- Top 5 Podcasts (what with Podcasting being word of the year and all)
- Top 5 Sporting Moments
- Top 5 Albums I’ve Listened To (not neccessarily released in 05)
- Top 5 Things That Made Me Cry
- Top 5 Things That Inspired Me
1. Top 5 Podcasts
- The Ricky Gervais Show – I’ve very almost caused myself to get into a lot of trouble laughing at this at work. Sooooo funny
- Speaking In Tongues – Many of you would be aware of this SBS TV Show, generic few are aware you can download it as a video podcast. Single handedly made me feel justified in having bought a video ipod.
- Cinecast – This bi-weekly film buff podcast has inspired me to see plenty of films that are on the less general release side of things.
- Triple J’s Hack Podcast – I’m normally on the train or at work when this get airplay on radio, cure but this youth oriented current affairs program regularly challenges me on the plight of youth in this nation.
- Adam Curry’s Daily Source Code – Sure the guy might be up himself a lot of the time, but he’s got just enough British in him to keep the American in check. And he’s doing good work. And he’s funny.
Honorable Mention: Engadget Podcast
2. Top 5 Sporting Moments
- The 2005 AFL Grand Final – What a game! And seeing West Coast go down like that, with the Leo Barry heroics was beautiful to watch
- Socceroos going to the world cup – I was hoarse for days afterwards. And being a hack ex-goalkeeper, it was really nice seeing Schwarzer being the hero.
- The Ashes – Despite a nasty end, it cost me more sleep than I’d like to admit.
- Richmond’s early season form – Being a long (and I mean long, not quite old enough to remember the glory days) suffering Tigers man, you have to clutch at anything. And being top 4 for half the season was a beautiful feeling, even if the inevitable fall from grace was heartbreaking.
- Marat Safin at the Australian Open – Although like 99% of Aussies I wanted to see Lleyton take him down in the final, I loved seeing Marat take down Federer. He was the only man who looked capable of beating him, and it was unbelievable to watch.
Honorable Mention: Mixed Netball Runners Up!
3. Top 5 Albums
- Wolfmother, Wolfmother – Real fun rock. This is the album that is the most likely to make me do spontaneous air guitar/drums since “Get Born” by Jet
- X&Y, Coldplay – Wasn’t initially convinced, and I think Speed of Sound is a rubbish song, but Kingdom Come and Fix You are two of the best songs I’ve heard in years.
- Grace, Jeff Buckley – It’s an old favourite. And there’s no other album that compares when you’re getting over a break up
- How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb, U2 – They just keep doing it. Consistently good. And I’m going to their concert!
- We’re Already Gone/Learn Yourself, The Beautiful Girls – This band is so classy. Just really good music. Couldn’t separate the two albums, I got onto Learn Yourself early this year, and We’re Already Gone in the past couple of months
Honorable Mention: Jamie Cullum, early Michael Jackson, James Blunt, Bernard Fanning
4. Top 5 Things That Made Me Cry
- Breaking Up – Sure I’ve already mentioned it in previous posts, and it’s pretty much a given. It hurt real bad. Still does. Welcome to life.
- Young Faith – It’s the little glimpses that do it. The 13 year old who is actually worshipping for the first time. The Year 9 who is praying for someone. The teenager with a prophecy. That’s why I still do youth stuff after 4 years.
- Cronulla – It takes a lot to make me ashamed of being Australian. That just about did it. Those race riots represent the antithesis of what makes me proud to be Aussie.
- Hotel Rwanda – If only “never again” actually meant that. Compulsory viewing
- Poor Old Nathan Brown – If I ever have to see the footage of tiger-hero Nathan Brown’s leg breaking again, I’ll vomit. Killed the season for the mighty Tiges and provided some nasty nightmares for little kids
Honorable Mention: God, babies dying, tsunami’s and earthquakes all omitted as “too obvious”
5. Top 5 Things That Inspired Me
- Being In Love – Sure it’s hurting now, but gee it was good while it lasted. And despite anything and everything else, that was an amazing God thing. It has definitely changed me for the better.
- Victorian Vineyard State Conference – Really good things from Rich Nathan and David Parker that changed lots of my outlook on ministry, and in particular my teaching. Unbelievable stuff.
- Australia’s response to the Boxing Day Tsunami – Despite Cronulla, Australia’s compassion in response to a horrific event showed that we are gooder than we are badder.
- My Youth Guys – I know I’ve given them a mention, but they blow me away. Just when they frustrate you the most, there’ll be a little God moment, and it’s all worth it again.
- Live8 and Make Poverty History – The campaign has taken social justice out of small pockets of resistance, and harvested the general goodness of people to build a message that will not easily be silenced. Whether you like their methods or not, there must be good that comes out of that sort of outcry.
Honorable Mention: I’m sure this isn’t really the best of the best, but the point is there.